Monday, May 30, 2011

And If I Bleed, I'll Bleed...

It frightens me sometimes how fragile a human life is. If I wanted to, I could take a bath, and let my face sink beneath the surface, and I could be dead. It would be so easy. It's so odd to think that we consider ourselves the wisest, strongest, and most invincible of creatures, and yet our lives could be ended so easily.

I marvel at the healing capabilities our bodies have. When I get a cut, it only takes a couple of days for the cut to be covered with new, fresh skin, erasing the mark that the broken skin left behind. I used to have scars on my arm, but now they're gone. It only took them a year, if that, to fade away. How spectacular to have a body that regenerates so efficiently.

I think perspective has a lot to do with it. Take your skin, for instance. It's thick enough to hide your bones, to protect your skull, to only scrape once you fall on the pavement. In the next moment, it's thin as paper. Your skin is nothing when a knife scrapes across it. How strange to think that something so fragile, so strong is the blanket that holds us in, that ties the different parts of us together. Our body is encased in a spiderweb, something beautiful and delicate, but ultimately strong.

No comments: