Friday, July 29, 2011

All the Small Things

Sometimes I cry for the stupidest reasons.

Like tonight. Watching movies that I really didn't need to cry in. I always cry when someone is lost (dead, or in the process of dying) in movies. I sobbed for a solid half hour in Titanic, not just when Jack froze to death. I cried when a daughter had had her heart broken (by Death, ironically) and then realized that her daddy was going to die soon. And then I cried when Death (who loved her back) gave her up because he loved her so much. I cried when a sister watched her sister fall to her death, and blame herself throughout the movie. I cried when her mother blamed herself for the sister's death. I cried when the Indians were massacred by the settlers.

I cry a lot in movies.

I always feel like a wuss, because other people are like "whatever, it's just a movie", and I'm all "but what if this was YOU? What if YOU realized that this was the last time you would see your father alive, and that this was the last slow dance you were ever going to have with him? What if YOU saw your innocent people hunted down, and killed mercilessly just because they had a different culture, or skin color? How would YOU feel trying to calm your children, because you knew that there wouldn't be room on the boats after the rich people got on to save them from drowning?"

And then I get this ache, like I want more than anything to reach into the movie and ease their pain, or save them somehow. To me, the characters in these movies are real, and I would give anything to spare them the pain they feel.

--Soren, out

No comments: